Car accidents happen all the time. Unfortunately, they are one of the leading causes of body dysfunction and pain in the United States. Many people seek chiropractic care after car accidents as an alternative treatment. Car accidents result in injuries like neck pain, shoulder pain, lower back pain, concussion, leg pain, and headaches. Among the many injuries, headaches can be complicated if not treated. Today we delve into headaches after car accidents and how chiropractors can help, as prepared by Rasmussen Chiropractic LLC.
Causes of Headaches Following a Car Accident
There are two most common causes of headaches after an accident. They include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash injury is your head's forward and backward movement following an accident. The movement of the head strains the muscles of your neck and sprains the ligaments, leading to head pain.
- Blunt trauma: Blunt trauma injury occurs when you strike your head on the door, window, headrest, or windshield. The impact results in a headache and other unpleasant symptoms.
Types of Headaches
There are different types of car accident headaches. These types vary from discomfort to pain. They include:
- Tension headaches: This headache results from the tightness of neck muscles. The tightness and injuries in your neck muscles leave other muscles to step in and become overworked, leading to increased tension in the neck and head.
- Cervicogenic headache: This headache originates from the neck. It occurs due to dysfunction in the muscles or joints of the neck. The pain is a throbbing sensation that arises behind the eyes or the base of the skull.
- Migraine headache: Migraine headaches are common after a car accident, especially if you hit your head. You first suffer head pain which may grow into a migraine, usually a throbbing pain on one side of your head. The migraine symptoms include vomiting, nausea, light sensitivity, and dizziness.
How Chiropractic Care Helps with Car Accident Headaches
Chiropractic care is a natural and effective treatment for headaches. Chiropractors work on your muscles, bones, and nerves to relieve pressure, eliminating your headache. The beauty of chiropractic treatment is that they treat the source of your discomfort or pain, not the symptoms. Chiropractic uses the treatments below to manage headaches.
- Chiropractic adjustment or spinal manipulation
- Massage therapy
- Lifestyle and nutritional counseling
- Corrective exercises
Schedule an Appointment with One of Our Chiropractors in New Albany, IN
The most frequently asked question is whether chiropractic care is safe for headache relief. The answer is yes. Chiropractic care is a safe and effective treatment for auto accident headaches and many other conditions like neck pain, back pain, sciatica, sports injuries, and much more.
If you want a long-term solution to your head pain, think of chiropractic care. Are you looking for a chiropractor in New Albany, IN? Look no further than Rasmussen Chiropractic LLC. Our chiropractic team is well-equipped to help you achieve your wellness goals. Call us at (812) 949-2273 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.